July 4, 2009

Tau Eu Bak (Braised Pork in Soy Sauce)

A common dish among the meat lovers, sometimes you wander why some have beancurd puff, potatoes, mushroom, some even with sea cucumber,...I have tasted many versions.

Which is the right version or the original one ?!.what can I say..how you like yours to be ! 


My mom &
 all the aunties used to cook this very often when I was young,

mom's home cooked food !



I always like mine with intestines, potatoes & lots of garlic...so check out the recipe


Cut and rinse the pork belly, intestines (rub with salt and boiled it for 5 min), potatoes (peeled) and boiled the eggs.

Then marinate the pork belly with garlic(with skin), star anise, cinnamon, peppercorns, 5spice powder, salt, sugar, soy sauce & dark soy sauce. Let it rest for 3hr. Ideally, over night will be the best.  



Heat up the pot, throw in all the marinated ingredients and fry it for 5min.

Add in water, potatoes, and bring it to a boil. Turn down the fire and let it simmer for 60min.

Remember to add in your eggs,...just let it simmer for another 10 min.



I wander why my mom kept feeding me with this dish,...it's like every fortnightly...? Healthy? Tasty?....perhaps it's easy to cater for both adults & children. Potatoes, meat, eggs...good for the growing up....& children will love the sweet gravy, but I hated the intestines those days. 


Try it who knows your kid might like it...

Serving for 4 paxs

Ingredients
500g Pork Belly

50g Intestines, rub with salt & boil
2 Eggs, hardboiled
200g Potatoes, cut into cubes
1/2 tsp 5Spice Powder
1/2 tsp Pepper
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tbsp Sugar
2 tbsp Soy Sauce
2 tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
2 pcs Star Anise
1 pc Cinnamon
15 Peppercorns
50g Garlic
400ml Water



4 comments:

backStreetGluttons said...

So if you are Big, dark , Strong & handsome , must thank your mother for all the soy of power.

NyonyaChef said...

I must thank my Dad for providing me booze at the age of five,...making me a strong drinker!...ha!

mycookinghut said...

Love tau yu bak! My mom loves to put potatoes but I usually eat the meat and the eggs only.. ahahha..

NyonyaChef said...

Haha...I too will pick n choose ! Especially the intestine !???