July 5, 2009

Pan Mee

Xplore & eat is my motto. You try,...you like it,....you do it !

In Penang I seldom see this dish,...or maybe I didn't really fancy, well,....maybe coz my favorite is always....spicy, sour, pungent....like Assam Laksa



I first experienced this dish from a Hakka mixed Teochew home cooking....it really open up my eyes at that moment.

Then only in KL I found this dish is everywhere.....worth xploring !


Make the dough: Flour, egg, pinch of salt, few drops of water,...and knead it

Preparation: Garlic, & chilli padi (chopped finely), shallot & mushroom (sliced into strips), minced pork, mani chai/sweet leaf, anchovies (put in the oven for 10 min or till golden brown)




Optional...you can also deep fry the anchovies

Add it some oil in the pot and saute the garlic & shallot slightly brown,...then fry the minced pork & mushroom for 3 min.

Add it chicken stock and bring to a boil. Tear the dough into 1 inch size & throw into the boiling stock...add in the mani chai/sweet leave let it boiled for another 3-5 min, or till cooked.


Serve with anchovies, a dash of pepper....& shallot crisps

For the sauce; mixture of garlic & chilli padi (chopped extra fine), lime juice & soy sauce.

Aiyah, I left out the black fungus !....forgot to buy !

Serving for 4 paxs

Ingredients
200g Flour
1/2 tsp Salt
1 Egg
5 tbsp Water, or just enough to mix the dough

200g Minced Pork
100g Anchovies
50g Mani Chai/Sweet Leaves
80g Garlic, chopped
50g Shallots, sliced into strips
30g Shitake Mushroom, sliced into strips
1.5L Chicken stock
1tsp Salt, to taste
1tsp Pepper, to taste

Sauce
2tsp Lime juice
2tbsp Soy sauce
30g Garlic, chopped finely
20g Chilli Padi, chopped finely

4 comments:

backStreetGluttons said...

You have made this what's that ! roadside noodle item into a classy nutritious delicious fulfilling star dish.

can mix with the assam pedas ah ?

NyonyaChef said...

It's just Pan Mee lah,...

Can,...use the assam pedas soup with the Pan Mee noodles.

Then you call it "Pan Mee Assam Pedas"

Care to try it first ?

mycookinghut said...

I love Pan Mee... I also got to know this when I lived in KL.. I cant have it without the chili.... yum yum!

NyonyaChef said...

Yup the chilli is the one that makes the Pan Mee tastier. Can't live without it