September 22, 2009

Nyonyachef landed in Frankfurt I

Nyonyachef went to Frankfurt last May !

Another of my fun eating trip, not so much of sight seeing,....just eat, and eat only.

Check out the 3days eating spree....

Landed in Frankfurt.....45min to Mainz,....8am, Nyonyachef sighted checking out one of the famous meat shop !


Germany is famous for the sausages,...frankfurter, all sorts of pork. Haha...I am in heaven!


Imagine they have so many different types of sausages....the German said they have more than a thousand types of sausages.


The simple original German sausages are best with....of course; bread, sauerkraut, mustards...and...and....


...a beer ! In the morning ??!!!! Why not ?!!...I see the Germans on the road side irregardless of gender, age, size....they are all drinking beer or wine in the morning,...at that time it was only 9am....so..."Prost" (cheers in german) and join them !


Nyonyachef had his 2nd breakfast at 1030am !

I spotted a fish market, interesting concept,...it's a grocery shop selling mainly fish and they cook for you if you want. Either boiled or just simple preparation,...grilled salmon with salad.


It's definitely taste good coz....it's fresh ! Well, after two breakfast, so I skipped lunch and slept. Jet lag syndrome !

...what's for dinner ?

Nyonyachef goes around town asking whether they serve Pork Knuckle...


When you are in Germany,...Pork Knuckle is a must,....but I was looking for something more original rather than Pork Knuckle served in some fancy restaurant, so the locals told me there's one near the Rhine river and it's the original !!??? Hmmm.....definition of original !???

Cool ! the home look alike restaurant is just 2blocks away from Hyatt (nyonyachef stayed there)

Well...check out the place


It's a small cozy restaurant with a bar counter and there's less than ten tables in it...with only two staffs running it; mother and daughter. Did I go to the wrong place ?

OK ...! Let's do some checking ! I was taking some pictures,...you know....act like you are a raw and green tourist....you know what I mean....

Anyway, one of the lady told me this is the only restaurant around, and it has been operating for the past 50years or more !!?? From...great grandma,...to grandma,....and now mother and her....not that I want to say it, but...oh my god !


Ok....not only that I found the place for Pork Knuckle, but this is the original and has long history to go with it.

Well, let's check out the food.....


Cream of fresh "white" asparagus soup...you can only get it in the month of May. In German, it's called "Spargel"


So this is the season for "white" asparagus....that means eat it while you can, so the lady fixed up another typical asparagus dish, boiled and served with hollandaise sauce. Main course; Pork chop with lentil and potatoes,...and the highlight of the evening,....traditional, original, home cooked Pork Knuckle with sauerkraut and potatoes.

"Lecker" (delicious in German)

Actually I did not order, the lady told me she would fixed up my dinner ! How friendly !

After an hour later, the home look alike restaurant was....full ! A priest came to me and start chatting with me, knowing me....a foreigner ! The priest was surprised that a tourist can find this place, according to him the diners are usually regulars and the restaurant only serve limited choices. Eat what is served ! Just like home !

Good experience ! Wait till you see what's for tomorrow....

10 comments:

petite nyonya said...

What a variety of sausages! I once had the pork knuckle at Black Forest. The size of it blew me off! Felt like as though I was living in a Genghis Khan era! haha

NyonyaChef said...

Tell me about it, it came a size of a chicken and that's suppose to be for one person only !

Now you just gave me an idea ! I should have taken a picture using my two bare hands tearing the knuckle like a barbarian...Hmmm

Ju (The Little Teochew) said...

Wow, to touch down at 8am and then go on to have TWO breakfasts within a span of 2 hours is really something! You're a real foodie :) How do you manage to stay in shape?! I don't see an ounce of fat on you, LOL!

NyonyaChef said...

Keep in shape ? Never !...just find a way to tuck my fats somewhere when taking a photo..hehe

msihua said...

Yeah.. this reminds me of when I was in Berlin.. the pork knuckle was like a giant!! HUGE and so much meat.. lols....

I miss east europe *sigh*.. I had good food there.. haven't been bothered to blog about it.. lalala

NyonyaChef said...

Share lah,...at least your viewers can see what is good and where is a nice place...

backStreetGluttons said...

After so much not halal meat & haram beer, u dare 2 combek 2 kl ah?

NyonyaChef said...

Not H1N1 should be ok

mycookinghut said...

German sausages are famously yummy....!!

NyonyaChef said...

Agreed with you, recently I had the opportunity to compare Holland and German sausage side by side, somehow the German sausage taste better loh