September 20, 2009

Kiam Chai T'ng (Salted Vegetable Soup)

Kiam Chai Ark or Salted Vegetable Soup is one of the eight main dishes served during feasting on the eve of Peranakan wedding or during some praying...which I tried not to know, except for the eating part...

In this dish I am only using pork leg and pig's tail....same ingredients, only without the duck.

I am more used to cooking pork rather than duck....


It'a quite simple...just like preparing any other soup dish.


Prepare the ingredients; Kiam Chai, Pork Leg & tail, Shitake Mushroom, Onions, Tomatoes, Tofu (Optional), Ginger, Peppercorn, Nutmeg seed, Garlic, Sour Plum & Coriander Leaves.

Bring the water to a boil, add it the Pork, Shitake Mushroom, Nutmeg seed, Garlic, Ginger and peppercorn. Let it boil for 15min, lower the heat and let it simmer for 45min or till the meat is tender to your liking.

Add in the Kiam Chai, Tomatoes, Onions, Sour Plum and let it boil for another 15min before throwing in the tofu.


Adjust the soup to your preference by adding salt and pepper. Garnish with Coriander Leaves and serve it hot.

Serving for 4 paxs

Ingredients
500g Pork Leg, blanched with hot water
300g Pig's Tail, blanched with hot water
400g Kiam Chai, soaked to get rid of the excess salt
20g Shitake Mushroom, soaked
20g Garlic
30g Ginger, sliced
60g Tomatoes, cut into chunks
50g Onions, cut into chunks
100g Tofu, cut into chunks
1 Nutmeg Seed
1tsp Peppercorn
2 Sour Plum
1/2tsp Pepper
1/2tsp Salt
1.5 lit Water

11 comments:

minchow said...

Love love this!! But the requirement of needing to buy pork leg and pig's tail seems daunting! I am not very butcher-friendly!

NyonyaChef said...

Hi Penang girl, you don't have to worry, just dial 911 someone will bring to your door step !

Anonymous said...

很棒的博客,美味佳肴!令人唾液三丈!

backStreetGluttons said...

omg , this smelly salty sweet dish sure attracts da ladies !
we volunteer to do the deliveries ... all da way ... if the price is right or if she is right

msihua said...

OMG omg omg.. I love this soup!! Waaaaaa.. I want to go homeeeee...

NyonyaChef said...

limkhnggeok,

Sorry! Hehe,I am a Chinese,...but I can't read Chinese.

bsg,

Erh...you think the smell is the one that draws da ladies !

msihua,

3 more months to go ! Hold your horses and start cooking your Kiam Chai T'ng. Too simple for you...Ha

msihua said...

I want to do it now.. whilst the weather is still cold.. It shall be perfect... except, I have no idea where to buy pork leg... maybe I'll replace with pork ribs... slurp!

NyonyaChef said...

So nice! cool weather with hot soup...definitely perfect.

Pork leg ?...same place where you are going to get your ribs.

petite nyonya said...

kiam chai soup is my FAVORITE! my mom used to cook it with pork ribs at every eve of CNY for prayers and fmly dinner, and she wld add a tbsp of brandy. yummmm!!

mycookinghut said...

I have had kiam chai t'ng for a long time... I crave for one..

NyonyaChef said...

petite nyonya,

Yes...brandy ! I like to add on to my vegy, but I always forgot to add in my soup !!??

mycookinghut,

I was craving for it too, that's why I cooked it...well, you can do the same. Happy cooking !