December 25, 2009

Cabbage Soup with Chinese Ham

Check out my secret ingredient for making a perfect broth...Chinese Ham !

The first time I was exposed to this when I was walking down one of the back street in Kunming....xploring the wet market and my friend stopped in front of a butcher...

That butcher was having a wooden box as a table,....just selling a leg from some animal !???It was dirty, hairy, what a rotten looking thing....my friend was speaking mandarin and the butcher just sliced a small piece of the rotten looking meat and passed to him to try !!! He did ...He ate it !

Erh...a bit shocking to me ! I can take raw,....but not rotten ! Well, if my friend can do it, so wth....anything salty, smelly,...my kind of food ! It taste similar to prosciutto.

That was the fear factor experienced, the real thing I bought looks much cleaner than what I described.


All the way from China...my two favorite places to get a good Chinese Ham, either from Kunming or Hangzhou.

I found out this is actually a rich man food, this Chinese Ham is one of the must ingredient used in luxurious restaurants to make exclusive dishes, supreme broths/stocks and much more....one of it is the exclusive dish-Buddha Jumps Over The Wall.

Well, check out my simple...clear Chinese Cabbage Soup with Chinese Ham.


Blanched the Chinese Ham and Pork Ribs with boiling water to get rid of the smell.

Place Pork Ribs and Red Dates in a pot and bring to a boil, and let it simmer from 1hour. Add in the Chinese Ham and Chinese Cabbage and continue to simmer for another 20min.


Season with salt. Serve hot with a dash of pepper !

Simple with an exclusive ingredient...


Serving for 4

Ingredients
400g Pork Ribs, blanched with boiling water
100g Chinese Ham, blanched with boiling water
300g Chinese Cabbage, cut into chunks
20g Red Dates
1tsp Salt
1lit Water

4 comments:

J said...

Nothing like a good soup on a rainy day.... :)
(Mmmm... that looks simple and delicious....)

NyonyaChef said...

Not a bad idea, I will call it "Rainy Day Soup"...hehe

Ju (The Little Teochew) said...

This ham makes all the difference! Put a few cubes into porridge and it really comes alive. Gives it the depth. Wah, can imagine how good this soup tastes!

NyonyaChef said...

The ham is the secret! During CNY, add ham and scallop into the steam boat soup..."everything" will come alive !

Hmm...good idea ! I normally throw scallops into porridge...have not tried ham yet.